Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sago/Sabudana Kichdi

                                   Sago/Sabudana Kichdi


I am diving direct to the recipe today .Ingredients for this dish was concocted in a random while I was cleaning up the pantry ,I noticed a box of sago unopened.It rang a bell that one of my friend G who lives in Omaha  had prepared Sago upma using onions and peanuts  during our visit to her place.Her ingredients and method is completely blank  for me now  .I like peanuts in anything so here is the outcome.

G is my College time Buddy ,we are still in touch .She is one other reliable friend that we share our Up's and Down's.
So this is to you G.


Ingredients

1.Sago/Sabudana 1 Cup

Soak the Sago 2Hrs before  by adding water just enough that the sago is covered with a very thin film of water.Do not add water too much ,will make it soggy.

To Grind

1.Peanuts 2 Tsp(roasted)

2.Green Chilies 3

3.Jeera 1 Tsp

4.Coconut Shred 1/2 Tsp

Grind all the above ingredients to a coarse mixture without adding water.

To Season

1.Oil 2Tsp

2.Mustard Seeds 1/2Tsp

3.Chana dal 1/2 Tsp

4.Urad Dal 1/2 Tsp

5.Asafoetida a dash

Sal To taste

To Garnish

Cilantro/Coriander leaves A Handfull

Method.

1.Heat a heavy bottom pan with oil and when it is ready to season add the seasoning ingredients mustard seeds,chana dal,urad dal and hing.

2.Add the soaked Sago and add the salt along with it and mix well.

3.With in 5 minutes the sago will start turning like transparent pearls.Keep it on low flame for another couple of minutes

4.Add the ground mixture and mix well.Leave it for another couple of minutes.

5.Add the cut cilantro.Cilantro brings great flavor to the dish.Add it generously in this dish.

9 comments:

  1. I am touched A:) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    first time here nice recipes.following you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really looks delicious.. following you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful kichadi. Do visit my blog when time permits. http://shanthisthaligai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Sabudana Khichadi.... Well presented
    Still have 1 packet of Sago untouched.... Need to make mine soon.
    Do visit my blog when time permits.
    www.sandhyas-kitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Kichadi with sabudana .I am leaving for my mother's place for a week.Will come back and catch up with your yummy recipes. Btw what is your name?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love sabudana khichdi.Nicely cooked.My 1st visit here Folowing your blog.Do drop by simply.food sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my space.Feel free to leave a comment. AMA