Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Kande Pohe

                                           Kande Pohe


Kande Pohe is a Maharastrian delicacy .This is a very easy recipe. I have made only very few times.The reason behind it is I have a Marathi Friend 'V' ,whenever I think of it she will prepare it for me.I will leave the authentic Maharashtrian  do the magic.Pohe/Aval/Flattened Rice combined with Potatoes,Onions is "kande Pohe".I guess if you let your creative juices flow you can add any veggies to it.It will taste divine.'V' had mentioned that they have this dish during fasting/to break the fast  as potatoes and Pohe are packed with good carbs and gives immense energy lost during fasting.Pohe are easily digestable form of rice.I am sure the edible tuber is the favorite veggie for most of us.Today's recipe is a courtsey from my mom ,she prepared it for our  lunch boxes(She has come to stay with us for sometime :)) .She learnt it from one of those street food wallas when she and my dad made a recent trip to Jaipur.This dish always reminds me "Simplicity is Divine"

Ingredients

1. Poha Thick  2 Cups

2.Potatoed 1Cut to Small Pieces

3.Red Onions 1 Diced

4.Green Chilies 2 Cut

5.Ginger Grated 1 Tsp

6.Peanuts 2 Tsp

To Season

1.Mustard Seeds 1/2 Tsp

2.Urad Dal 1/2 Tsp

3.Chana Dal 1/2 Tsp

4.Jeera 1/2 Tsp

5.Oil 2Tsp

Hing a Das

Salt To Taste

Cilantro To Garnish

Method

1.Rinse the Poha nicely with water to get rid of the dirt and grime .Drain the water completely and set aside.

2.Heat a Pan/kadai ,with  oil , add the seasonings mustard seeds,jeera,chanadal,urad dal,hing and the peanuts and saute it for about couple of minutes.

3.When the peanuts starts to light brown add the grated ginger,green chilies, onions and poatoes.Saute until the potatoes are cooked .The potatoes will  turn soft when its cooked.

4.Add the  pohe ,salt and mix well.Leave it on slow flame for about 5 minutes and switch off.

5.Garnish with cilantro.If you like the lemon tartness ,add some lemon juice according to your taste.For color you can add turmeric.Its heaven.

7 comments:

  1. I love kande pohe-- almost too much. Yours look so delicious..in fact, I'd love to grab that bowl right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. never tried this way. love any kind of poha dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I can eat it just like that as a snack. Yours look yummy!I have never tried adding potatoes. mmmmmm Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kande poha is one of my favorite dishes, yours looks just perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this. simple and yum. looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tasty poha..feeling like having it right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my space.Feel free to leave a comment. AMA