Monday, September 19, 2016

Back to School Recipe:Carrot and Radish salad (Quick and Healthy).

                                    Back to School Recipe: Carrot and Radish Salad
Kids are back to school and sanity restored for me. My kids were in summer camp for 10 weeks ,all 5 weekdays, until 6 pm, rather they prefer picked up only when the door closes as they were having super fun .Juggling between camp and classes was crazy timing wise, towards end of the summer leave we went for a week’s vacation to Yellow stone, Wyoming (A separate post) and the last week was spent on buying school supplies, back packs and lunch Kit. It’s a ritual every year to buy a new backpack even if the previous year’s isn’t worn out. I hear the same compliant from my friend’s. This year my first daughter got exposed to Vera Bradley brand by one of her friend and insisted on one, she justified the price for the quality. Fortunately, I had coupons and the store had some discount on top of it, we got it for a reasonable price (reasonable for my daughter).My little munchkin got from Justice and she picked one with lot of smiley faces, think it’s a trend among the kids now.The only condition they agreed -I insisted black base for the bag as other light colors get dirty and discolored pretty fast.
Now that they are back to school my cooking in the mornings has to be simple, quick at the same time healthy. When I plan my kids lunch with vegetable paratha usually will double up the vegetable grating, so it can serve as salad for the adult lunch. You can alter this recipe to any variation you would like. Radish has many health benefits, will try to sneak in my cooking at least once a week.I had only one radish and hence the picture is not showing up the white color if you really care for mix of  color increase the radish quantity to carrots as orange  dominates.
Here is my version
                                       Carrot and Radish salad
Ingredients.
Carrot- 2 peeled and grated.
Radish – 2 peeled and grated.
Green Chili – 1 diced.
Lemon Juice – 1 teaspoon (optional).
Salt – to your taste.
Cilantro – 1 teaspoon

Method
1.Mix all ingredients together except cilantro.
2.Garnish the salad with cilantro when about to serve.

Note:
1.We like our salad crunchy ,seasoned with 1/2 teaspoon each of mustard seeds,jeera(cumin seeds),urad (black gram -peeled) dal and chana dal(split bengal gram) and a pinch of hing(asafoetida).
2.I peel carrots and radish only when they are used raw,when cooking of the vegetable is involved ,will give a thorough wash and use.

Carrot,Radish Salad and a peek of this year's backpack







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my space.Feel free to leave a comment. AMA